The Bottom Ten/NFL Week 16
By Gaylon Kent
America’s Funniest Guy
It was complete chaos in the Bottom Ten this week, as the Broncos, Bears and 49ers -somehow – all picked up victories Sunday.
Thank God for the stability of the Cleveland Browns. At 0-13, The Dan Henning Trophy – symbolic of NFL Bottom Ten supremacy – remains theirs to lose. Literally.
The 2017 Bottom Ten race is so tight that the Broncos and the Bears were both 86’d from the survey after the wins, despite both being on the Bottom Ten medal stand last week.
This week’s imbroglio, as the nags pass the quarter pole:
1. Cleveland Browns (0-13; lost to Green Bay 27-21 OT) – Browns primed to run table with second overtime loss of 2017…Complete inability to tackle key in this one, as 65-yard punt return sets up Packers game-tying touchdown…Browns seventh NFL team to start season 0-13…They were also the sixth…Next Loss: Baltimore
2. New York Giants (2-11; lost to Dallas 30-10) – With Eli Manning back in charge, Giants offense more than underwhelming enough to tag team with defense for blowout loss…With Sunday’s carnage, two (2) wins, current three (3)-game skid more than enough to get Giants back on B-10 medal stand…Next Loss: Philadelphia
3. Indianapolis Colts (3-10; lost to Buffalo 13-7) – Patience pays off for Colts, back on B-10 medal stand following third straight loss…Colts cannot rest on laurels though, as Broncos squad who just had nine (9) game skid snapped will be looking to get back on losing schneid this week…Next Loss: Denver
4. Cincinnati Bengals (5-8; lost to Chicago 33-7) – Bengals, generally regarded as worst team never to win B-10 title – throws hat back in ring for B-10 medal stand with clutch home blowout loss to last week’s runner-up squad…Next Loss: at Minnesota
5. Houston Texans (4-9; lost to San Francisco 26-16) – Loss to previously 2-10 49ers propels Texans into B-10 Top 5, as Texans blow two (2) leads and show strong finishing kick, getting outscored 13-7 in second half…Next Loss: at Jacksonville
6. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (4-9; lost to Detroit 24-21) – Defense clutch, allowing late go-ahead field goal after bastards on offense tie game with two (2) fourth quarter touchdowns…With three (3) losable games remaining, Bucs could make strong case for B-10 medal stand by losing out…Next Loss: Atlanta
7. Baseball Hall of Fame – Dudes, you let Gary Carter in you should also have let in Steve Garvey, Tommy John, Don Mattingly, Dale Murphy, Dave Parker and Ted Simmons…Might as well as let the B-10 pollsters in, too, while you’re at it.
8. New York Jets (5-8; lost to Denver 23-0) – It’s not easy to cross the country and lose in the NFL, but it usually not this easy as Jets return to survey after snapping Broncos longest losing streak since Reconstruction…Next Loss: at New Orleans
9. San Francisco 49ers (3-10; Defeated Houston 26-16) – Though three (3) wins nothing to sneeze at, Niners have won two straight in “must-lose” games, as dreams of B-10 medal stand glory fading fast…Though B-10 pollsters committed to considering entire bodies of work and not just when teams win, Niners realistically need to lose out to have shot at B-10 medal stand…Next Loss: Tennessee
10. AFC West (24-28) – Despite both first-place teams being able to muster winning records now, AFC West still easy selection for weekly Pete Rozelle Award – issued to league’s worst division…Last place Broncos still only three (3) games out of first place with three (3) left to play.
This Week’s Clash of the Titans: Denver at Indianapolis
This Is Don Criqui Reporting: Houston at Jacksonville