The Daily Dose/July 14, 2019
By Gaylon Kent
America’s Funniest Guy
The Sunday Bottom 5
Celebrating the worst of the week that was.
- Megan Rapinoe – From her tedious poses to her non-stop yapping, US chick soccer star gives casual, heterosexiual soccer fans one more excuse to ignore boring sport…Our loss, too, because we missed out on a splendid World Cup title that was as dominating as it was triumphant.
- Census Bickering – Further proof that our nation is not any better than this…Miasmic, third-rate nation now will oblige non-citizens with nothing to fear to not answer census…Sunday Bottom 5 pollsters “pretty sure” Americans will be soon settling Coke, Pepsi argument with gunfire.
- Trump Crisis Management – The Trump Way: make a big deal out of something, anything, then retreat, proclaim victory, then find something else to bicker about…Fabulous way to ensure nothing gets done, that America spends another four years marking time instead of doing something of substance.
- Robot Umpires – Electronic umpires now calling balls and strikes in Atlantic League…Debut at all-star game incident-free, but one game into second half was all it took for former MLB pitcher Frank Viola to get run for arguing balls and strikes not even called by human, proving the more things change, the more they don’t change.
- Trump Fact Checking – Click here for the latest inaccuracies, including misinformation on the environment, the VA and employment, all from a president who remains either unwilling or unable to tell the truth…It’s hard to say which.
Today At The Site
The Diary of a Nobody: Sparrow gives a clinic in letting a guest who has lost their key into their room. Today’s Diary.
You don’t always need ID in this situation, tho…I remember working security in Sin City – and forgive me if you’ve heard this before – and I let this young lady into her room and she couldn’t find her ID…She is searching her suitcase and ultimately pulls out a pair of brown bra with white dots on them…Then she pulls up her dress to reveal the matching panties, which I declared satisfactory and moved on to my next call.
It’s Sparrow, an average man passing an average life.
More drivel! Click on the button to read all of The Diary of a Nobody. $5.99 includes all entries, past, present, and future:
On This Date
In 2015 – Man visits Pluto for the first time, as the American spaceship New Horizons flies by what used to be the ninth planet and what is now regarded as merely a big rock. New Horizons had left Earth in January 2006 and at its closest approach came within 7,800 miles of Pluto’s surface. New Horizons remains on duty, too, on its way to the outer limits of our Solar System. Also on this date, in 1965, Mariner 4 passes by Mars, providing man’s first close-up pictures of another planet.
In 2005 – The San Francisco Giants become the first major league team to win 10,000 games, defeating the Los Angeles Dodgers 4-3. The Giants won their first game on May 1, 1883 when, as the New York Gothams, they defeated the Boston Beaneaters – now the Atlanta Braves – 7-5. To date, the Giants have won 11,130 games, still best in major league history, and have won 23 National League pennants and eight World Series titles.
In 1984 – Prince is at #1 for the second of five consecutive weeks on the Billboard Hot 100 with When Doves Cry. It was the first of five #1s for Prince and his third of 19 Top 10 hits. The song also went to #1 in Canada and Australia, was in its third of eight weeks at #1 on Billboard’s soul chart and was Billboard’s biggest song of 1984. The song recharted in 2016, peaking at #8 on the Hot 100 and at #5 on the soul chart, making it one of the few songs in the Rock Era to make the Top 10 in separate chart runs.
But his time is not now, and so the legend dies.
Answer To The Last Trivia Question
A host nation has won the World Cup six times: Uruguay, 1930; Italy, 1934; England, 1966; West Germany (1974; Argentina, 1978; France, 1998.
What major league team has lost the most games? – Answer next time!