The Daily Dose/June 2, 2019
By Gaylon Kent
America’s Funniest Guy
The Sunday Bottom
1. US Presidency – The GOP has not produced a decent elected president since Eisenhower…Ford was good…He was also unelected, doing well in circumstances the Son of Man would have found challenging…America has not been led since Kennedy said let’s go to the moon, with Americans content to be managed, and none too well, either.
2. US Mass Shootings – Another mass killing in American shooting gallery…Good news is Americans – paced by Congress, NRA – have finally come to terms with this, having accepted it as now-normal part of American life.
3. US Catholic Church – Abuse allegations against priests more than double in past 12 months…Still though, the flock continues to gather every Sunday for communion, wee peek down the slacks.
4. US Media – Where the hell is this generation’s Woodward and Bernstein in this whole Trump investigation imbroglio???…Hardly surprising they’re nowhere to be found, as rebooted media’s purpose now is to entertain, not inform, much like sitcoms, music videos.
5. US Electorate – We keep electing incompetent, partisan, and fractured government…We have no one to blame for our country’s collapse than ourselves.
Today At The Site
The Diary of a Nobody: The Wife sells her old car. Today’s Diary.
$200 is a steal, too…The starter is new and the battery is less than a year old and it runs well…The snow tires are still on – they can stay on year-round, actually – and The Wife threw in the summer tires, too…Now, it’s not perfect…Duct tape holds on the driver’s side mirror together and the driver’s side window handle is gone, with the window stuck a couple of inches down, and good luck getting into the trunk without a team of factory technicians…
It’s Sparrow, an average man passing an average life.
The drivel simply does not stop: please click on the button to read The Diary of a Nobody. $5.99 includes all entries, past, present, and future.
On This Date
In 1953 – Elizabeth II is formally crowned Queen of Great Britain and their associated realms at Westminster Abbey in London. She had ascended the throne in February 1952 following the death of her father George VI and, as per custom, the coronation was delayed to allow for mourning of the deceased monarch and for proper planning of the ceremony. 24,589 days later, Elizabeth still reigns, the longest reigning monarch in British history. She was the fifth monarch of the 20th century, the most in a century since the English and Scottish crowns were merged in 1707.
In 1985 – Kareem Abdul-Jabbar has 26 points and becomes the leading scorer in NBA playoff history as the Lakers defeat the Boston Celtics 136-111. The Lakers took the lead in the series 2 games to 1 and would eventually win the series in six games. Kareem would retire with 5,762 playoff points, now good for the third on the all-time list. He was passed in 1998 by Michael Jordan and the record is now held by LeBron James.
In 1984 – Let’s Hear It For the Boy by Deniece Williams is at #1 on Billboard’s Hot 100 for the second and final week. It was the second #1 song from the soundtrack of the movie Footloose (Kenny Loggins, Footloose) and was nominated for an Oscar for Best Original Song. The song was also in its first of three weeks at #1 on Billboard’s soul chart. For Williams, it was her second and final #1 on the pop chart and her third and final #1 on the soul chart.
They who steal body and soul need n’t talk to us. Every one of these bills is stolen…
Harriet Beecher Stowe
Uncle Tom’s Cabin
Uttered by Cassy, a slave
Answer To The Last Trivia Question
There wasn’t a Trivia feature last time, sill.
What was Deniece Williams first #1 song on Billboard’s Hot 100? – Answer next time!