The Daily Dose/January 23, 2022
By Gaylon Kent – America’s Funniest Guy™
The Sunday Bottom 5
A ranking of some things.
1. COVID 19 – While SB5 pollsters aren’t doctors and certainly have never played one on television, they’re “pretty sure” virus is never going away and should start being treated with the respect it should have commanded in the first place, namely all of us waking up every morning and asking ourselves what do we have to do not to get COVID today and then going out and doing those things.
2. Transgender Athletes – While SB5 pollsters appreciate Mother Nature sometimes getting gender work orders screwed up, and talk about sensitivity and inclusion certainly is appropriate, biological girls must be allowed to compete with other biological girls…Those born boys should not compete against girls, regardless of how they identify.
3. Donald Trump – The 3-hole staple…Instead of being banished in shame for leading the January 6 insurrection, instead of being reviled for the blood on his hands for an inept coronavirus response, instead of being dismissed for believing the moon is part Mars, ignorant blatherskite continually heralded as the pacesetter for the 2024 GOP nomination.
4. NCAA – Ultimate example of pimp, whore and john wrapped up in one bungling organization, group recently passed new constitution to reinforce its continuing irrelevance…SB5 pollsters “strongly suspect” NCAA should just pass everything off to SEC – which is the real power in major division college sports anyway – to focus on runner small school championship tournaments, which is something they actually do rather well.
5. President Joe Biden -While infinitely better than his predecessor – a loaf of bread would have been an improvement – President Biden already bearing striking resemblance to President Jimmy Carter.
Today At The Site
Writing worth reading. Usually.
It’s Read Free Sunday (RFS), and today’s Diary entry is on the house.
The Diary of a Nobody – Chef Sparrow farts around with his spinach recipe. Today’s Diary.
The big news is yours truly farted around with the secret recipe for Spinach a la Sparrow…
On This Date
History’s long march.
In 1849 – England’s Elizabeth Blackwell receives a medical degree from the Geneva School of Medicine in New York, the first woman doctor in the United States. Blackwell had started as a teacher, and became interested in medicine after an ill friend noted that had she had a female doctor she might not have suffered so much. Her sister Emily was the second female doctor in the US and both worked for the Union during the Civil War, with neither of them ever marrying.
In 1988 – Steffi Graf of Germany defeats Chris Evert 6-1, 7-6 (7-3) in the finals of the Australian Open. It was the first Australian Open title for Graf and the second of 22 major singles titles, the second most behind Margaret Court. Later in the year, Graf would win the French Open, Wimbledon, the US Open and the Olympic gold medal, the only non-wheelchair player to accomplish the feat, sometimes known as the Golden Slam.
In 1971 – Dawn – later known as Tony Orlando and Dawn – is at #1 on Billboard’s Hot 100 for the first of three consecutive weeks with Knock Three Times. It was the second chart single for the group, their second of six Top 10 hits and their first of three #1s. The song went to #1 in five other countries, including South Africa and Great Britain and was Billboard’s 10th-biggest song of the year. A version by Billy “Crash” Craddock later in the year peaked at #3 on Billboard’s country chart.
Some Philosophy Crap
The wisdom of the ages. Whatever.
Her prudence, tact and courage astonished her contemporaries, who were accustomed to male incompetence or violence.
The Story of Civilization, Vol. VI: The Reformation
Editor’s Note: the subject of this quote was not noted.
Answer To The Last Trivia Question
Knowledge is power.
Kobe Bryant of the Los Angeles Lakers scored at least 60 points in a game six times in his career.
Match wits with Gaylon. It’s not that hard.
How many Grand Slam doubles titles did Steffi Graf win? – Answer next time!